Sam Ross - Birth Doula
Sam Ross is a Toowomba Birth Doula who is passionate about pregnancy, birth and beyond.
Her goal as a Doula is to support, enrich and empower parents on their journey into parenthood, whether that be for the first time or fifth.
Whether you simply need help navigating the confusion of birth choices or are needing continuous support through pregnancy and birth, Sam can help.
What is a Doula?
A Doula is a birth support person that attends women during pregnancy and the birth of their baby, offering support to enhance the birth experience. A doula has extensive childbirth knowledge and experience, and uses this knowledge to provide emotional support, physical comfort measures and information to a woman and her partner. Doula is a Greek word meaning woman's maid or servant. In recent years, the term has come to describe a woman who supports a birthing mother during labour.
A doula will perform the following tasks:
• Provide emotional support
• Use natural comfort measures such breathing, relaxation, movement, positioning
• Gives clear unbiased information
• Continuously reassures and comforts the mother (a doula never leaves the mother’s side)
• Advocates for the mother and helps facilitate communication between the mother and care provider
• Assists your partner as well (gives them bathroom breaks for example)
• Ensures mother is adequately hydrated and nourished.
Doulas do not perform medical tasks, they are present only for your physical comfort, emotional support and advocacy. Most Doulas are self-employed, therefore they are working for you and not your caregiver at the hospital/birth centre. This also means a doula is available to support you in the environment of your choice, whether that be home, hospital or birth centre.